Ways Of Giving During The Holiday Season
In this week’s article, I want to highlight some of the many ways you can help less fortunate Coastal Bend residents this holiday season. Last week, I discussed the importance of food donation, but you can also make a significant impact by donating other goods as well. For example, in South Texas, we face high winds and humidity that can be particularly grueling during the winter months, and making donations of such items as coats and blankets are especially important this time of year. Volunteering at one of the many worthwhile nonprofits in our area is another great way to give back. Whether it is through donating, contributing financially, or volunteering, it is my hope that together we can find a way to make this holiday season a bit brighter for those in need. Below I have outlined some of the many opportunities available at Coastal Bend charities to help you get involved.
As mentioned above, donating new or gently used coats, blankets, and other cold weather items is a way to help others stay warm this winter. Goodwill is a great organization that can help with these types of donations. You can find a donation location in your area by contacting them by phone at 866-222-0555 or visiting Goodwill of South Texas. The Texas Paralyzed Veterans’ local thrift store is another great place to donate items such as men’s, women’s and children’s clothing and shoes, blankets, sheets, pillows, purses, and household items (pots, pans, kitchenware). They are located at 4801 Ayers St., Corpus Christi, TX 78415, and can be reached at 713-696-5501.
With a diverse range of assistance programs that include Emergency Aid, Rural Outreach, Immigration & Refugee Services, Ministry & Life Enrichment for the Disabled, Healthy Living Center, and the Mother Teresa Shelter, Inc., the Catholic Charities – Corpus Christi offers a number of volunteer and donation opportunities. You can find out more about these services and how to get involved by visiting Catholic Charities – Corpus Christi or calling 361-884-0651. Catholic Charities – Corpus Christi is located at 1322 Comanche St., Corpus Christi, TX 78401.
The Ronald McDonald House Charities of Corpus Christi is another great charity that provides comfort and support for families with sick or critically injured children in many different ways. From donating clothes and ‘wish list’ items and volunteering your time, there are several ways to get involved as outlined on their website:
• Administrative Volunteer: House volunteer opportunities exist for those looking to help with the day-to-day administrative operations of the House.
• Share-A-Meal Program: Due to the number of frequent visits to the hospital and the time dedicated to the care of their critically ill or injured children, families are often left with little time to cook for themselves. The Share-A-Meal program allows a group of volunteers to come to the Ronald McDonald House to cook a meal for our families as well as see the “House That Love Built”.
• Provide Wish List Items: The ‘Wish List’ allows you to contribute by donating some of the most needed items to the House. The list includes items that are used on a daily basis by families and staff. You can collect these items by collecting them individually or holding a Wish List drive.
• Clothing Donation Boxes: You can help host a Clothing Donation Box Fundraiser by placing new or gently used clothing and shoes into our donation drop boxes located by local businesses throughout Corpus Christi and the surrounding areas.
• Share-A-Night Program: It costs approximately $100 a night to house a family at RMHC. While a $25 donation to stay at the House is appreciated, a family in need is never turned away for inability to pay. Participating in the Share-A-Night Program can help the organization meet their financial needs.
• Pop Tab Program: The Pop Tab Program is a simple and easy way for people of all ages to support the House by collecting the tabs off of soda cans. The donated pop tabs are taken to a recycling center, and in return the House receives a cash donation. Since 2000 the program has collected over 158 tons of tabs, which translate into more than 3,569 room nights for families at the Ronald McDonald House.
To learn more please visit their website at Ronald McDonald House Charities of Corpus Christi or you can reach them by phone at 361-854-4073.
If you have questions regarding any of the information mentioned in this week’s article, please do not hesitate to call my Capitol or District Office. As always, my offices are available at any time to assist with questions, concerns or comments (Capitol Office, 512-463-0672; District Office, 361-949-4603).
– State Representative Todd Hunter, District 32
Rep. Hunter represents Nueces County (Part). He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 512-463-0672.